Two employees of Afghanistan’s human rights body have been killed in a bomb attack in the capital Kabul. The workers who were on their way to work, were killed when a homemade sticky bomb attached to their vehicle exploded, the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission confirmed.
Kabul police spokesman Ferdaws Faramurz said the incident has indeed occurred but no group has claimed responsibility for it.
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan condemned the killings and called for an immediate investigation. “There can be no justification for attacks against human rights defenders,” it said on Twitter.
The attack came less than a week after two prosecutors and three other employees from the attorney general’s office were shot dead by gunmen on the outskirts of Kabul.
On May 30, a journalist was killed when a minibus carrying employees of private channel Khurshid TV was hit by a roadside bomb in the city. Responsibility for the attack was claimed by Islamic State.
Violent incidents had fallen across much of the country after the Taliban agreed to a brief ceasefire to mark the Eid al-Fitr festival last month but officials say the insurgents have stepped up attacks in recent weeks.
Most attacks by the Taliban have targeted Afghan security forces, although the police regularly report civilians have been killed by roadside bombs.
On Saturday, the national security council said 21 civilians were killed and 30 wounded in attacks over the past week in 14 provinces.
The Taliban and the Afghan government are preparing to enter into much-delayed peace talks aimed at ending the country’s war. (Source: The Guardian)