After nearly 100 journalists and electronic media workers contracted COVID-19, the Indonesian Television Journalists Association (IJTI) has established a special task force to help curb the spread of the disease.
The task force’s main duty is to compile a list of journalists who contracted the coronavirus, IJTI chairman Yadi Hendriana said.
“The IJTI will pay the cost of PCR testing for TV journalists who do not receive such (testing) from their respective companies,” Mr. Yadi said last Friday as reported by Kompas TV.
He urged journalists who might have been exposed to the virus to fill out an online form provided by the organisation.
He also asked media companies to prioritise the safety of their journalists by implementing strict health protocols.
The Alliance of Independent Journalists (AJI) said separately that media firms were obliged to protect the health of their workers, as stipulated in Article 86 of the 2003 Manpower Law.
“The law states that every worker has the right to health protection,” AJI chairman Abdul Manan said separately last Thursday, as reported by Kompas TV.
Previous reports revealed that over 50 journalists in Surabaya, the capital of East Java province, had tested positive for COVID-19, with three succumbing to the disease, as the region emerged as a new epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak in the country.
AJI Surabaya previously said reporters’ failure to follow health protocols and media firms’ reluctance to protect the health of their employees were among the contributing factors to the spread of the virus among media workers. (Source: The Straits Times)