Saudi Arabian authorities has detained incommunicado Prince Faisal bin Abdullah Al Saud after arresting him on March 27 without charges. Authorities have refused to reveal his whereabouts or status, a source with ties to the family told Human Rights Watch, which suggests that authorities may have forcibly “disappeared” him.
Prince Faisal is the son of the late King Abdullah and former head of the Saudi Red Crescent Society.
On March 27, 2020, security forces arrived at a family compound northeast of Riyadh, where Prince Faisal was self-isolating due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and detained him without revealing the reasons, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said on Saturday, May 09.
The authorities previously detained Prince Faisal in November 2017 and held him along with over 300 leading business people, royal family members, and current and former officials in a sweeping anti-corruption drive by Saudi crown-prince Mohammed bin Salman.
The authorities released Prince Faisal in late December 2017 along with hundreds of others after he agreed to hand over assets and that the basis of his current detention is unclear.
Prince Faisal’s case is the most recent known arbitrary detention of prominent Saudis, including royal family members, outside any recognizable legal process.
“Despite waves of criticism, the lawless behaviour of Saudi authorities during the de facto rule of Mohammed bin Salman continues unabated,” said Michael Page, deputy Middle East director at Human Rights Watch.
“Now we have to add Prince Faisal to the hundreds detained in Saudi Arabia without a clear legal basis.”
The arrests since 2017 have targeted many sectors of Saudi society, including clerics, intellectuals, human rights activists, businessmen, and royal family members, including sons of the late King Abdullah.
Others among his sons detained in November 2017 include Prince Mishal bin Abdullah, a former governor of Mecca; Prince Mutaib bin Abdullah, former National Guard minister; and Prince Turki bin Abdullah, a former governor of Riyadh. Prince Turki remains in detention without charge.
The New York Times report reported in March 2018 that 17 people required hospitalization because of ill-treatment by Saudi authorities in the Ritz Carlton in 2017, and that Maj. Gen. Ali al-Qahtani, an aide to Prince Turki, later died in detention.
In early March 2020, authorities detained three senior princes including Prince Ahmed bin Abdulaziz, King Salman’s full brother, along with Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, a former crown prince and interior minister removed by King Salman and Mohammed bin Salman in June 2017, after which he was placed under long-term house arrest.
“Saudi Arabia’s recent justice reforms have evidently not curbed rampant arbitrary detentions, including of prominent royal family members,” Page said. “The arrest and possible disappearance of Prince Faisal demonstrates again Saudi authorities’ blatant disrespect for the rule of law and the need for a full overhaul of the justice system.” (Source: HRW)