Outgoing ICC chief prosecutor seeks full investigation on Duterte’s ‘war on drugs’

0

The outgoing chief prosecutor of International Criminal Court (ICC) sought a full investigation on Monday into the Philippine government’s war on drugs, saying crimes against humanity may have been committed.

In one of her last moves before stepping down this week, Fatou Bensouda asked judges at the world’s only permanent war crimes court to authorise a probe into allegations that members of the Philippine National Police unlawfully killed tens of thousands of civilians between 2016 and 2019.

Manila pulled out of the ICC in 2019 after Ms. Bensouda launched a preliminary examination into President Rodrigo Duterte’s drug crackdown in 2018.

Thousands of civilians are known to have died under the campaign and official data acknowledges more than 6,000 deaths, but international rights groups have long warned the figure could be far higher.

The controversial anti-drugs crackdown has sparked years of international condemnation, including from the United Nations.

Ms. Bensouda first said she was “deeply concerned” about reports of extrajudicial killings in October 2016.

On Monday she said she had determined there was reasonable basis to believe that murder had been committed, and she asked judges on the war crimes court to authorise a full investigation under her replacement.

Ms. Bensouda will be replaced by Mr. Karim Khan, a British lawyer, on Wednesday.

Her statement said the available information indicated that members of the country’s police, and others acting alongside them, had unlawfully killed between several thousand and tens of thousands of civilians during the period she looked at between July 2016 and March 2019.

She said the court has authorisation to look at alleged crimes during the time the country was a party to the ICC, before Mr. Duterte’s withdrawal took effect.

The controversial leader, known for his flamboyant remarks and lack of remorse over his deadly drugs policy, has repeatedly said the ICC has no jurisdiction over him and said he will not cooperate the probe.

The development has been welcomed by human rights groups.

Amnesty International described the investigation as a “landmark step”, which could provide “a moment of hope for thousands of families” grieving loved ones in the country. (Source: BBC)

 

Share.