Myanmar coup: Weekend crackdowns kill six protesters; 10 soldiers killed says state media


At least six people, including an 18-year-old, were killed in 24 hours of crackdowns on civilians by Myanmar security forces on Monday, witnesses said, while on online news outlet reported that 10 soldiers died in weekend attacks by citizens in a remote town near the border with India.

The Irrawaddy, an independent online news outlet, reported that in Tamu, a town near the border with India, four soldiers died on Sunday when a grenade was thrown into a truck by residents after soldiers had fired on protesters building barricades.

The deaths followed the killing of six members of the security forces in Tamu’s fire station Friday in an attack led by striking police officer Thang Hou Gin, who died in the attack, the Irrawaddy reported.

RFA could not confirm the accounts of the deaths in Tamu, which followed the deaths of four other soldiers on March 26, raising to 14 the number of soldiers killed in the past 10 days in the city of 44,000 people, the news outlet reported.

In Mandalay, Myanmar’s second-largest city, security forces shot and killed teenager Htet Htet Win as she rode with her husband on the back of a motorbike Sunday night, witnesses said. The couple was going home after work and was shot at about 9 p.m. during a dusk-to-dawn curfew

In the same part of the city, security forces arrested a man and burned tattoos of deposed civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi and numeric symbols of the civil disobedience movement from his arms on Sunday, they said.

The man, who declined to give his name out of fear, said he had left his house to go for a walk when four soldiers and policemen sitting in the dark pounced on him.

“Then they forced me to take my shirt off, asked me where I was headed, and why I had the tattoos,” he said.

When the man told security forces that he had gotten the tattoos free of charge, they said he could not have them, he recounted.

“So I said I would remove them, but they said they’d do it, and one guy held me while the others scorched the tattoos with a burning car tire,” the man told RFA.

In another part of the country, three civilians were killed by gunfire from military forces in the town of Pinlebu in northwestern Myanmar’s Sagaing region around 10 p.m. local time Monday, residents said.

About 40 soldiers had been firing their weapons since 5 p.m. in the streets of the town, where young people set up barricades at the top of a road to resist the crackdown, they said.

The leader of the protest told RFA that a fire broke out near the township general administrator’s office, and that tensions on both sides remained high.

Hundreds of people marched through Pinlebu Monday morning in protest against the military regime, according to local residents and social media posts. At least one person was killed and 10 others injured in clashes between security forces and protesters.

A man was killed and two others wounded in the town when police opened fire on locals who asked for the release of two protesters taken away earlier, witnesses said. One of the three shot in the melee later died of his wounds, they said.

Troops and police circled around Pinlebu in trucks and on motorcycles, arresting people on the streets.

An unidentified dead body that showed signs of abuse or torture was dropped off by police Monday morning near Taungpalu village in Sagaing region, residents told RFA.

“The body has no bullet wounds, but the face was all black and blue,” said a volunteer media who saw the corpse. “The forearm was broken. Nobody knows who he was, and no claims have been made yet.”

In Naypyidaw, a 25-year-old Muslim man from Shwe Phi ward was shot in the back and died Sunday afternoon when police opened fire on a group of protesters riding motorcycles. A volunteer team of medics took his body to a nearby hospital

Nine weeks after the Feb. 01 coup, protests continued in several other cities and towns across the country. (Source: RFA)