Kyrgyzstan govt. places human rights defender under house arrest


Kyrgyzstan authorities have detained Kamil Ruziev, a well-known rights defender, on dubious grounds and placed him under house arrest.

Human Rights Watch urged the Kyrgyz authorities to lift the two-month home arrest order imposed on the activist and drop all the charges against him.

Human Rights Watch also calls for an investigation into allegations that Kyrgyz security services have threatened Ruziev.

“Ruziev have filed formal complaints against security officers, so Kyrgyzstan’s security service responded by harassing him with a bogus criminal investigation,” said Mihra Rittmann, senior Central Asia researcher at Human Rights Watch.

“Prosecution authorities should instead be carrying out a thorough and timely investigation into Ruziev’s complaint and any abuse of power by the security officials who arrested him,” he added.

State National Security Committee (GKNB) officers arrested Ruziev on the evening of May 29 outside the Karakol City Courthouse, after filing a lawsuit against the GKNB and the prosecutor’s office for not investigating his complaint that law enforcement officers had threatened him, including at gunpoint.

After his arrest, the GKNB issued a statement saying that Ruziev was under investigation on criminal charges of forgery and fraud.

However, during the hearing on May 31 to determine whether he would be held in pretrial detention, the investigator acknowledged that at the time of his arrest, Ruziev was wanted only as a witness. He said they had now changed his status to suspect and were pursuing the case only on charges of forgery.

Ruziev told Human Rights Watch that the authorities had only informed him that they changed his status to suspect immediately before the hearing. The court approved Ruziev’s house arrest for two months.

Ruziev and his lawyer have appealed the ruling and filed a complaint against the GKNB for unlawful detention.

Ruziev, 56, is a human rights defender and the head of the Karakol-based human rights organization Ventus. He is well-known for his work to end torture in detention and has also provided legal assistance in domestic violence cases.

Law enforcement agents have repeatedly harassed and threatened Ruziev in retribution for his human rights activities.

While he was in GKNB custody, officers questioned Ruziev without his lawyer of choice present and refused to hand over copies of procedural documents.

Ruziev believes he was arrested in retribution for his human rights activities.

“Over the last year I have been filing complaints against the GKNB and the prosecutor’s office,” he told Human Rights Watch. “I also help others whose rights have been violated. The GKNB knows of my human rights work and decided to put pressure on me to get me to stop.”

The GKNB’s harassment of Ruziev is taking place against a backdrop of attempts by the Kyrgyz Parliament to adopt amendments to a law concerning nongovernmental groups that are aimed at tightening controls over civil society.

The draft law, which targets non-profit organizations in particular, would impose additional burdensome financial reporting requirements that would interfere in activists’ ability to carry out their work. (Source: HRW)