Hong Kong office workers plan a weeklong protest series in business district


To kick-off its planned week long daily lunch time protest, hundreds of office workers in Hong Kong’s business district gathered on Monday, December 02, backing the protest movement after its decisive victory in the district poll held last week.

A day earlier police again resorted to firing tear gas to disperse thousands of protesters as they marched past the city’s Kowloon waterfront, after first going to the US consulate on Hong Kong island to show gratitude for Washington’s support.

There was no such confrontation at the two-hour rally in the central business district on Monday, as some people went back to their offices after their demonstration of solidarity. Others said they would be striking for the full five days.

The gathering in Chater Garden probably drew Hong Kong’s best-dressed protesters, and organisers have called on them to come out every day this week.

Protests over the last six months have drawn a wide swathe of Hong Kong society – from students to pensioners. Even white-collar professionals, like those in Chater Park, have sometimes blocked roads in recent weeks, leading to face-offs with police.

Monday’s rally appeared aimed specifically at bringing in more workers from advertising agencies to help build publicity.

Fred, a 24-year-old advertising professional said he and his colleagues had helped create promotional materials in their own time for the so-called “yellow economy”, the businesses seen as supporting the pro-democracy movement.

Many protesters have adopted the colour yellow and yellow balloons have been seen at rallies.

During Sunday’s protest police fired tear gas to disperse thousands of anti-government protesters, some of whom chanted “revolution of our time” and “liberate Hong Kong”.

That followed a period of relative calm after Nov 24 district elections delivered an overwhelming victory to pro-democracy candidates.

The protest in the busy shopping district of Tsim Sha Tsui followed a “thanksgiving” march by hundreds to the US consulate. (Source: CNA)