Hong Kong authorities move activist Agnes Chow to top security jail – Report

0

Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Agnes Chow has been moved from a medium-security prison to the maximum-security Tai Lam Women’s Correctional Institution, according to the city’s Apple Daily newspaper.

Chow, 24, was sentenced to seven months’ imprisonment on Dec. 02 after pleading guilty to charges of “illegal assembly” for protests outside Hong Kong’s police headquarters in June last year.

She was then taken after sentencing to the medium-security Lo Wu Correctional Institution near the border with mainland China.

But the Apple Daily cited sources as saying that she has since been transferred to the Tai Lam, a top-security, category A facility that places prisoners convicted of violent crime in solitary confinement.

ShiuKa-chun, who once represented the city’s social welfare sector in the Legislative Council (LegCo) who served an eight-month jail term in connection with the 2014 Occupy Central campaign for universal suffrage, said the move was highly unusual.

Category A prisoners, of whom there are only a few hundred in a city of seven million, are often people who have been convicted of murder or drug trafficking, Shiu told the paper.

“To give you some idea, category A prisoners aren’t even allowed out to attend the funeral of a family member,” he said.

Fellow activist and former 2014 student leader Joshua Wong, who co-founded the now-disbanded political party Demosisto with Chow, is also believed to have been placed in Category A, the report said.

The Correctional Services Department has given no explanation for Chow’s categorization, saying only that crimes committed, length of sentence and the extent to which someone was a security risk would all be taken into account, the Apple Daily said.

Its report came two days after a friend of Chow’s posted a video to YouTube about her transfer, saying that pro-democracy District Councillor Tiffany Yuen had paid her a visit in Lo Wu last week, before she was moved.

In 2019, the Correctional Services Department admitted 128 category A prisoners, of which 86% had been convicted of drug-related crimes, and the remaining 14% violent crimes including murder and rape.

There were 552 category A prisoners in Hong Kong at the end of the year, according to the department’s annual report. (Source: RFA)

 

.

Share.