Court grants bail to accused killers of Palestinian activist Nizar Banat

0

The 14 members of Palestinian security forces, on trial over the killing of prominent activist Nizar Banat in June of last year, have been released on bail.

The death of Banat sparked rare protests against the Palestinian Authority under whose authority the 14 security forces worked.

The group formally asked for their release on Tuesday, which was granted by the prosecution on condition that they attend their court hearings, multiple sources said on Wednesday.

The risk of coronavirus spreading in the West Bank prison where they were held was cited as grounds for their release.

That justification was slammed by Banat’s widow, who further charged that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ administration could not credibly judge her husband’s accused killers.

“The murderer cannot be a judge,” Jihan Banat told AFP, describing the decision to release the suspects on bail as “political.”

“If the Palestinian Authority is worried about the spread of the coronavirus, why doesn’t it release all the other prisoners held on charges?”

Banat died in June 2021 after security forces stormed his home in the flashpoint city of Hebron and dragged him away. A post-mortem found he had been beaten on the head, chest, neck, legs and hands, with less than an hour elapsing between his arrest and his death.

The top Palestinian prosecutor has accused the 14 security force members of beating Banat to death. The PA has promised accountability through a military trial in the West Bank.

But Majed Al-Arouri, a Ramallah-based legal expert, said that the release of the suspects without a judicial order was “illegal,” and pointed to wider concerns about the PA’s handling of the case.

“The last six months have revealed an intentional procrastination in court procedures with regard to the people accused of killing Nizar Banat,” Arouri said. (Source: Arab News)

Share.