Court charges employers of Filipino domestic worker slain in Kuwait

0

Philippine Labour Secretary Silvestre Bello III revealed that the employers of Filipino domestic helper Jeanelyn Villavende who was beaten to death in Kuwait last December have already been charged with murder.

Secretary Bello disclosed the information on Tuesday (Jan 28), during a Philippine Senate hearing of the committees on labour and foreign relations on the maltreatment of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).

“Yesterday, I was informed that the employers have been formally charged with murder,” Bello said.

He also informed the committee that Villavende’s employers, a couple, are currently detained in a facility for “high criminals”.

Bello said he also had a series of meetings with the Kuwaiti Ambassador to the Philippines to expedite the resolution of the case and for it to be given priority by the Kuwaiti government.

An autopsy conducted by the National Bureau of Investigation revealed there were clear indications of sexual abuse on the 26-year-old victim. This was not reported on the autopsy done by Kuwaiti authorities.

“There were also old healed wounds indicating that Villavende had been battered weeks prior to the fateful incident,” Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra earlier said, citing the autopsy report.

The Philippine government had imposed a partial deployment ban on workers to Kuwait following the incident.

It has banned the deployment of OFWs to Kuwait before which is also a result of the death of a domestic helper. (Source: INQUIRER.net)

Share.