Afghan civilian casualties in ‘disturbing spike’ after peace talks began, UN says

0

Civilian casualties in Afghanistan witnessed a sharp rise since the peace negotiations started in September last year, the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) reported on Tuesday.

In their annual report, the UN documented some 8,820 civilian casualties (3,035 deaths and 5,785 injuries) in 2020, about 15% less than in 2019.

But overall, the Afghanistan Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict Annual Report showed that deaths and injuries dropped in 2020, compared to the previous year.

It was also the first time the figure fell below 10,000 since 2013.

However, the country remains amongst the “deadliest places in the world to be a civilian”, according to Michelle Bachelet, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

“I am particularly appalled by the high numbers of human rights defenders, journalists, and media workers killed since peace negotiations began in September”, she said.

At least 11 rights defenders, journalists and media workers lost their lives since September, resulting in many professionals exercising self-censorship in their work, quitting their jobs, and even leaving their homes and the country – in hope it will improve their safety.

According to the report, the overall drop in civilian casualties in 2020 was due to fewer casualties from suicide attacks by anti-Government elements in populated areas, as well as drop in casualties attributed to international military forces.

There was, however, a “worrying rise” in targeted killings by such elements – up about 45% over 2019. The use of pressure-plate improvised explosive devices (IEDs) by the Taliban, air strikes by the Afghan Air Force, and ground engagements also resulted in increased casualties, the report said.

According to the report, anti-Government elements bore responsibility for about 62% civilian casualties, while pro-Government forces were responsible for about 25% casualties. About 13% of casualties were attributed to crossfire and other incidents.

Deborah Lyons, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Afghanistan and head of UNAMA, called on all parties to take immediate and concrete action to protect civilians, urging them “not to squander a single day in taking the urgent steps to avoid more suffering”.

“2020 could have been the year of peace in Afghanistan. Instead, thousands of Afghan civilians perished due to the conflict”, Ms. Lyons said.

The “overriding objective” of the report is to provide the parties responsible with the facts, and recommendations, so they take immediate and concrete steps to protect civilians, she added.

Ms. Lyons highlighted that “ultimately, the best way to protect civilians is to establish a humanitarian ceasefire” – a call consistently made by Secretary-General António Guterres and the Security Council.

“Parties refusing to consider a ceasefire must recognize the devastating consequences of such a posture on the lives of Afghan civilians.”

The report went on to note that the years-long conflict in Afghanistan “continues to wreak a shocking and detrimental toll” on women and children, who accounted for 43% of all civilian casualties – 30% children and 13% women.

“This report shows the acute, lasting needs of victims of the armed conflict and demonstrates how much remains to be done to meet those needs in a meaningful way”, High Commissioner Bachelet said.

“The violence that has brought so much pain and suffering to the Afghan population for decades must stop and steps towards reaching a lasting peace must continue.” (Source: UN News)

 

 

Share.